On 30 April 2018 at 14:18, Jan Iversen <j...@apache.org> wrote:

> Sent from my iPad

>>>  Ok ; great ; thanks.

>>>  Let me say first that Sebb did a great job perfecting the config
>>>  (json/yaml file) ; since it handles all the past retirements,
>>>  we can be confident that either solution can handle (almost)
>>>  any future case.
>>
>> Let's not forget that Jani created the initial JSON file contents.
>> That was quite a bit of work.
> Thanks, but I honestly am sad that I did not choose another solution, because
> see what it brought us all, I personally have lately used around the same
> time it took me to retire 10 projects, which is far more than I signed up to
> do.
>>
>>>  The problem at hand is simple :
>>>
>>>  -- there is only one 'base' ; all generated pages look the same.
>>>  -- there is only one 'template' : base + project-list (on the right)
>>>  -- there are only 4 (kinds of) pages :
>>>     -- index.html      : template + index.txt
>>>     -- process.html    : template + process.txt
>>>     -- resolution.html : template + resolution.txt
>>>     -- $project.html   : template + <proj-data>
>>>        where <proj-data> is generated from the config.
>>
>> Note that proj-data includes layout in the above list.
>>
>>>  -- only 3 substitutions are needed [project-list, title, $proj-data].
>>
>> Additional substitutions of need to be made to create the proj-data as
>> that is a mix of variable data with fixed layout.
>>
>>>  [main point] I think using a template system is, at best, unnecessary.
>>>  Note that the jekyll templates aren't 'easy' (full of if/then/else's),
>>
>> I contend that the Perl version is harder to follow.
> I have problems understanding the jekyll templates. To me it seems the
> jekyll-site contains many more files (source) than the lua-site, I suppose
> that adds complexity.

Quantity is not complexity unless there are lots of files.

In any case, the Jekyll solution actually now only has a few more files.
At least 2 of which are documentation.

>>>  and can't be understood unless you look at the code too.
>>
>> In the lua case, the conditional and looping code is buried inside the
>> Perl script.
>>
>>>  [I know, because I had to follow Sebb, as he added more and more ;-]
>>>  With the lua stuff, the 'logic' is in one place.
>>
>> I agree that the logic is in one place, but the presentation is mixed
>> in with it.
>>
>> In the Jekyll case, there is some logic to massage the data in Ruby,
>> but all the presentation logic is in templates.
>>
>> I think that is easier to follow.
> I guess it is more a question of what you are used to use.

I am familiar with Perl; I have written/maintained lots of Perl scripts.
The script is well-written and concise.

The problem is that the script includes a mix of lots of different things.

>> For example, compare how the project page data is generated:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/attic/site-jekyll/src/_layouts/project.html?view=markup#l35
>>
>> To me it's clear that there is a table with data fields in it.
>> And it's obvious how to omit parts of the output if required.
>>
>> The same structure in the Perl script is mainly generated here AFAICT:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/attic/site-lua/mk-stuff?view=markup#l211
>>
>> Except that is only part of it.
>>
>> At present the code generates a Board entry in the table regardless of
>> whether it is a sub-project or not. How would you fix that so it
>> agrees with the existing Attic site?
> That was why the board entry was sometimes empty in my json file.

Yes.

My point was: how to change the Perl script so it omits the entry.

I think it's pretty obvious how it is done in Jekyll:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/attic/site-jekyll/src/_layouts/project.html?view=markup#l78

Can you work out how to change the Perl script accordingly?
Or even where the code should go?