On 23 July 2018 at 15:12, Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2018, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
>
>> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 19:17:03 +0200
>> From: Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
>> To: general@attic.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: no projects in the Attic
>>
>> I like that there is no project in the Attic: there is only static
>> codebases
>> (and other types of assets like mailing lists or sites), with nobody to
>> make
>> them evolve, then no project (project means evolution)
>>
>> IMHO, recreating frozen projects is not a good idea
>>
>> it's a question of wording to better represent the semantic behind Attic:
>>
>> project = codebase + community to make it evolve and a PMC to manage the
>> evolution
>

>   ... now separate PMC and PROJECT

PMC == Project Management Committee.
i.e. the committee that manages one or more projects.

A project is "an individual or collaborative enterprise that is
planned to achieve a particular aim."

i.e. it is a group of people (committers) working on a particular
product (code-base).

A PMC exists to coordinate the projects under its control.
There may be several projects which may overlap in terms of personnel.
e.g. Creadur has RAT, Tentacles, Whisker
There are 3 projects working to produce separate products; some people
may work on all 3, some on only one

Similarly in Commons there are a lot of products.
Many of them are no longer active and the product is marked 'Dormant',
i.e. there is no longer a project team which is producing that
product.

>   -- it is the PMC that has a 'community'
>        (members, committers, developers, users)
>   -- a PROJECT (as an entity on it's own) has no community ;
>      if/when a PROJECT moves from one PMC to another,
>      it happily lives on, cared for by another community

I disagree - it is the product (code-base) that lives on as part of
another project.
The new project may have different aims from the original project.
e.g. I imagine the project team developing XMLBeans as part of POI
will (mainly) focus on the parts that relate to POI.

>   evolution :
>
>     -- when a project enters the Attic,
>        we 'evolve' it to a 'retired' project

There is no project at this point.