If your only goal is to provide DNS, how about running BIND on a Linux box? I haven't explicitly done it, but Win DNS does support BIND secondaries.

There's only 1 drawback with that plan that has bit me in the behind recently. I had a similar site from which my backup DC was removed from the budget. I wasn't happy but figured it would be okay with the cached logins.

Last week the DC went down and all of my Terminal Sessions couldn't log in. We have repeatedly tested and it's consistent. Research by one of the guys in my group showed that while you can log onto the console of a server (and a workstation is in fact the console) RDC and all other network sessions are not supported with cached credentials.

In other words, you can log onto your workstation, but forget about getting to a network resource. Is that going to work for you?

As far as hardware costs go, you can use one of my solutions: I run a virtual DC on a workstation as a backup. This PC happens to be at my house and runs over a VPN, but obviously it would work better on the LAN. I did it at home so that I'd have an offsite AD backup.

Of course you still have the server license with which to contend.

Now that I'm thinking...has anyone used Samba recently for DC backup? As I remember, version 3 and before only supported NT4 auth, but would that be enough to get to the network resources? Now I'm going to have to try that. Samba 4 is supposed to be fully AD-integrated whenever it comes out.