From: Michael Blakeley [mailto:michael.blake...@marklogic.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:20 PM
To: General Mark Logic Developer Discussion
Cc: Lee, David
Subject: Re: [MarkLogic Dev General] Query on directories

David, that approach works as long as your directory has a corresponding
directory fragment (either with directory-creation=automatic or with
manually-created directories). But it's also possible - and fairly
common - to use xdmp:directory() without having any directory fragments
(directory-creation=manual). Most large database applications set
directory-creation=manual for efficiency reasons. So any general-purpose
code should be written to work for both cases.

You might think of these as explicit vs implicit directories. A webdav
client will only see explicit directories: it needs the directory
fragment for locking purposes. But any database query can make use of
implicit directories.

For most purposes I would use lock-free code to check for a directory uri:

   xdmp:exists(xdmp:directory($uri, 'infinity'))

-- Mike