*Van:* general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com [ma
ilto:general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com] *Namens *Dave Cassel
*Verzonden:* dinsdag 24 januari 2012 13:35
*Aan:* General MarkLogic Developer Discussion
*Onderwerp:* Re: [MarkLogic Dev General] Using Information Studio to split
uploaded files..

Late to the party, but I'll put it out there in case it's still helpful:
http://blog.davidcassel.net/2011/06/splitting-data-with-info-studio/

On Jan 17, 2012, at 2:31 PM, Michael Sokolov wrote:

Here's my two cents; I hope it helps with the development of IS.

We have typically been doing this kind of splitting external to
MarkLogic in xslt or in  java (with a sax parser) for very large
documents we need to stream.  Generally speaking, an xpath can describe
the boundaries where we want to split the original document - often an
element name or name/attribute-value combination would be enough.

One difficulty in the streaming case has been the need to maintain outer
context when splitting inner elements.  For example, consider a book
document where you want to split on book parts; a book-part can be the
whole book, a part, chapter, section, etc.  In a hierarchical structure
you mostly just want the part you're looking at, but also need to
preserve some outer metadata and/or structure as well - for example you
might like to include the book title in every part of the book so that
you can display that later.  Other typical requirements are to generate
a TOC and to maintain next/previous links between parts.

One approach that has helped us is to generate an intermediate document
including the part wrapped in its ancestors' descendant content *until
the next part boundary*.  Actually in the streaming case you can only
include ancestor descendant content that precedes the current chunk, but
since metadata typically precedes content, that seems to work out OK.

I would encourage you to consider providing or at least enabling some
solution to this ancestor-metadata problem as a requirement in any
document-splitting pipeline.

-Mike