*Van:* general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com [mailto:
general-boun...@developer.marklogic.com] *Namens *Szabolcs Illes
*Verzonden:* donderdag 23 februari 2012 13:54
*Aan:* general@developer.marklogic.com
*Onderwerp:* [MarkLogic Dev General] weird xpath behaviour

Hi,

I have seen this before, but came across again, so I thought ask this time.
Same/similar xquery but different results:

*Version 1:*

let $ids := /HorseRacingCard/Meeting[@country eq "England" and
AdvancedGoing]/@id

return (/HorseRacing/Meeting[@id = $ids] )[1]

returns expected results.

*Version 2*: Same as 1 but ids vatriable is just inlined

(/HorseRacing/Meeting[@id = /HorseRacingCard/Meeting[@country eq "England"
and AdvancedGoing]/@id ] )[1]

returns nothing [ slow, but that’s expected: ]

Other than Version 2 is NOT optimal since the expression inside the
predicate is evaluated for each sequence item, I guess it should return the
same results.

*Version 3:*

(/HorseRacing/Meeting[@id =* fn:collection()/*HorseRacingCard/Meeting[@country
eq "England" and AdvancedGoing]/@id ] )[1]

Returns expected results and it’s fast, expression is only evaluated once

Can someone shed some light why Version 2 is not returning any results?
Could it be a bug in the optimizer?

Thanks,

Szabolcs