The old email from Mary explains more than I would know.

My takeaway, take it for what it's worth, is:

Use the correct collation for your 'text' indexes; use codepoint for
'value' indexes like UIDs and such.

You won't be worrying about whether your UID has diacritics, or whether it
sorts according to German or French rules (I'm guessing).

My experience is that codepoint is faster, but it will be a question of
what you do and what your indexes are.

If the indexes are small, or you only ever get the first value, it may not
matter (unless they grow . . .).

If you have huge indexes across many nodes and do things that require
sorting/unique-ifying then it can matter.

For something like a UUID, for example, it sounds like codepoint is the way
to go.

A little discussion here:

https://docs.marklogic.com/guide/search-dev/encodings_collations#id_70034

If you have data, you can test for your situation to see.