On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 05:06:54 -0700, Max-Gerd Retzlaff
<max-gerd.retzl...@lambdawerk.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We stumbled upon occasional "hiccups" when updating modules in module
> databases, and have the suspicion that this might be related to the
> module caching, and the use of the file extension "xqm" (for XQuery
> Module, as developed by The W3C XML Query Working Group).
>
> In the section "Module Caching Notes"[2] of "Importing XQuery Modules,
> XSLT Stylesheets, and Resolving Paths" the explanations do not refer
> to the format of the document (or rather, module) but always use odd
> phrases such as:
> - "file extension for a module corresponding to
> application/vnd.marklogic-xdmp or application/xslt+xml mimetypes",
> - "mimetype extension corresponding to application/vnd.marklogic-xdmp
> or application/xslt+xml",
> - "a module that does not have the correct extension", and so on.
> Also that section suggests to "add other extensions to these mimetypes
> using the mimetypes configuration in the Admin Interface" to avoid
> problems with the (automatic) module caching.
>
> This gives us the impression, that for the module caching the
> document's MIME type is actually not obeyed, but that this part always
> relies on the fact that the file extensions should match entries in
> the "mimetypes configuration".

The thing to know is that the document's MIME type within the server is
determined from the file extensions and the MIME type configuration in the
server. Any MIME type header you send in to begin with is only used to
determine an initial default format, but that is immediately lost and what
really matters is the configured MIME type mapping.

> Is this assumption / interpretation correct?
>
> Also, from our tests we deduct that MarkLogic actually doesn't store
> the MIME type (but just uses it to map to a document format (i.e.,
> xml, text, binary, or json)).

It is not stored, correct. It is used to determine the default document
format, also correct. (The default could be overridden depending on how
you load it.) So when it comes to the deeper levels where caching
behaviour is determined, what matters is the configured mapping, not any
MIME type header that may have been sent at one time. This configured MIME
type is used to determine appropriate caching behaviour.

> The core question is: how do we ensure that the cache works as
> expected. Is it best practice to specify MIME types (when uploading
> using the REST interface), or does the file extension (together with
> the "mimetypes configuration") take precedence over the explicit MIME
> type.

The file extension 'xqm' is not pre-configured to be mapped to anything in
MarkLogic server (xqy, xq, xqe, or xquery are pre-configured). Your best
practice, if you use non-default file extensions for XQuery modules, is to
add a mapping in the server's MIME type configuration so that the server
knows what MIME type a document is. The extension should be mapped to
'application/vnd.marklogic-xdmp' for caching to work properly as an XQuery
module.

//Mary