Addons are sourced from github, but otherwise there is nothing specific to
github about them.

They must comply with some basic rules, see
https://code.jsoftware.com/wiki/Addons/Developers_Guide but otherwise are
free form. Jqt isn't needed.

>  I inadvertently overwrote the main file in my github-based installation
when I built with the Jqt project build.

Addons should be installed under ~addons with two-level subdirectories. The
github installation should write to the target directory. Your Jqt project
can also write to that directory, but it doesn't have to.