Folders and Projects are just convenient ways to name and navigate
through directories. This helps you organize your code, particularly
when using Jqt. It also helps when sharing code with someone else who
may use a different directory structure, since they need only define
Folder names to match their directories, otherwise no change is needed
to the source code.

A Folder is a short name for a directory, and Project is a
subdirectory of a Folder with a .jproj file. Typically you create a
Folder for any new system, and Projects under that Folder for its
various components.

For example, on my machine

   jpath '~Sqlite'            NB. a folder name
/home/chris/dev/apps/sqlite/source

   dir jpath '~Sqlite/base'   NB. a project under that folder
api.ijs           1947 27-Aug-18 12:29:08
base.jproj         114 24-May-18 12:18:49
build.ijs           50 30-Apr-18 07:42:27
info.ijs           399 30-Apr-18 07:42:27

The examples in the wiki should give you the idea.

As regards your questions:

> Is it mandatory, that project directories are children of the folders
> specified in UserFolders_j_? Or is it at least discouraged to create a J
> project in an arbitrary
directory which is not part of the folder hierarchy already known to J?

You can create a project anywhere you like, but lose the benefit of
Folders if your project is not under a Folder.

> Or, to put it in another way: What is the recommended way to create a J
> project in a directory outside of the /home/user/j9.4-user/projects hierarchy?

Create a Folder name for your directory (Edit|Configure|Folders).
Restart J, then Project|New. Alternatively, just create a directory
under your Folder and add an empty .jproj file with that name.