Thanks for the feedback. I would like to think google groups has much
improved since you last used it.

We will restrict posting to group members, so the question then is how
to moderate the applicants. The mailman system does this by sending an
email to any applicant where they have to confirm the application.
That seems to weed out the spammers - I am not aware of any spammer
that confirmed the application and then sent spam to our forums. We
could do the same, either manually or through a form on the website.
It will be interesting to see how this works with our test group.

I agree that chat is better than beta for testing. In the test, the
mailman forum will be running as before but just not posting messages.
So it would be easy to revert to mailman.