Niclas Hedhman wrote:
* The whole of Avalon was converted to Maven quite some time ago, and that is probably when Gump support started to crack badly. What would Gump folks say if we took the step of having <maven> in the avalon gump descriptors?

I don't think we're quite ready just yet:

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/incubator-geronimo/gump_work/build_incubator-geronimo_incubator-geronimo.html

but the goal is a good one. Maybe we should try both (add experimental projects that use <maven/>, move over incrementally if those work)...

* One of the things that I can imagine is a real worry is the build time required for Maven compared to Ant, but the Maven-1.0-rc2 is showing significant improvements.

We don't want to worry about that. Gump tries to emulate developer behaviour. And if developers are using maven, gump wants to use it too.

* How are the dependency Jars being passed to Maven, and getting Maven to ignore the cached local repository?

I have no idea (someone else will ;)

* Should the <maven> feature in Gump, not use the Maven POM and properties files, since all the information about the builds are available there? Is this planned, or considered too difficult?

I think its planned. One big difficulty (there are several) is that the names of the projects in maven are not the same as the names of the projects in gump.

The bottom-line is; If Avalon start using Maven for builds, it would put a lot of pressure on Gump to have that feature working.

yep.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons