Leo Simons wrote:
Hi gang,

I have known this for a long time, its the main reason I spent so much time
learning about "platforms" and "frameworks", but now I found Jason Carreira
has explained it well:

http://www.manageability.org/blog/stuff/the-architecture-of-participation

Gump is about more communication between developers. Most open source
developers sure as hell won't feel like communicating if they have no
influence over the communication medium. We need to provide freedom to
tinker. "Don't like the reports that gump sends your way? Write a different
plugin that does exactly what you want. It's easy to do and easy to test."

Sure, that's one side.

The other side is called balkanization: when everybody wonders off and forgets about the rest of the ecosystem.

In media stat virtus.

--
Stefano.