I had similar problems. However instead of seeing messages about
$PATH, I saw the contents of $PATH, which rather messes up the
messages!

Hopefully this can be fixed?

==

I also had difficulty working out how to create the gump database - in
the end I used:

mysqladmin -u root -p create database gump
(hope I've remembered it right)

And then I used the graphical mysql administrator to create the user
(could not work out how to use this to create databases)

Got stuck with ssh, and ran out out time.

S.