[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I'm still interested in a vmware image with gump on though, if anyone does have one to hand. "gump to go"

-steve

Me to :-)

Thought about setting up a linux server (without KDE/Gnome, just SSH,
MySQL, Apache, Python, JDK, Gump, SVN, CVS, ???) as VMWare image, but
time ...

I built up a fedora core4 image last week, but it was enough to remind me that gnome's filesys navigation is inadequate, and that linux under vmware handles roaming wlans very, very badly.

If you look at http://instalinux.com/ you can see how we do images hands free; you fill in some options in a form, get a bootable ISO image and then boot that, which pulls in the relevant files. On the original HP installation there are local mirrors of the distros for low-traffic installs. Just set it up overnight and you get a new vm in the morning.

The distro set there is biased towards server/desktop images, and I don't want to ship an hp built image around as there is too much risk of something we have site licenses for being included. Maybe I'll look at this DSL linux distro (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/) and see if it runs java properly.

Out in grid computing land, there is probably going to be a workshop in Bristol or Oxford UK this summer on vm-hosted grid computation; for which you want ultralight images that contain the bare minimum of sysadmin approved stuff, everything needed to host a grid app container like condor or GT4. Then when the grid people want to use the spare cycles on your box, they first deploy the grid vm, then use that to host your apps. So there may be some work on minimal Xen/vmware images there too.

-steve