Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
Hello Bill,

I did not look at your code.

I was thinking that gump could do the following :

suppose that you have a project maven.foo, which depends on the artifact
bar.jar, version 2.0, of project bar.

If bar is being built with ant in gump, we would need to copy bar.jar to the
location under $HOME/.m2/repository where maven would expect it, I suppose that
is $HOME/.m2/repository/bar/bar/2.0/bar.jar.

This requires adding in the gump metadata of projects built with ant which are
maven dependees the groupId and artifactId of each jar, plus the version that
maven wants.

I know this is just one aspect of the problem, but maybe this simple idea can
help.

The other aspect is to deliver dependencies built with maven. For instance if
maven.foo depends upon maven.bar. But maven.foo wants maven.bar version 1.0 and
we are building in gump maven.bar version 2.0-SNAPSHOT. In this case copying
the 2.0-SNAPSHOT to 1.0 under $HOME/.m2/repository/maven.bar/bar could work ?

It is better if we can find this kind of solution rather than ask maven to
change their code to support gumps needs. Because then we can be operational
faster. (Maybe you will think that I am a big hacker ?)

Regards,

Antoine

The alternative story is to
-purge the local maven repo cache every nightly build
-have a proxy server just for maven builds that returns the artifact we want to get used, not the gump one.

There's a risk here, and its if other tools run on gump that construct their own get calls against the repo, like Ivy when it comes up, which will take the proxy settings of Ant. Or anything that knows the checksum of the file it is expecting, only to discover that what it gets does not match. I'd particularly worry about bouncy castle, as any nightly artifacts wouldnt be signed, so the java crypto API will not trust them. But then they aren't on gump for that reason.

-steve