On 2010-07-06, David Crossley wrote:

> Please help with the descriptor for Forrest.

> I also get the feeling that i am being a bit
> crude with the inheritance side of things.

You are not alone.  I can tell you what I think it does, but must admit
I'm not sure I get it right.

<depend> and <option> have an inherit attribute which can mean:

  * If you use inherit="jars" then the project that contains the
    <depend> tag seems to also contain the other project's <jar>s as
    outputs of its own

  * If you use inherit="all" the the project that contains the <depend>
    tag seems to also contain the other project's <depend> and <option>
    tags as dependencies of its own.

  * If you use inherit="runtime" the the project that contains the
    <depend> tag seems to also contain the other project's <depend> and
    <option> that themselves have a runtime="true" attribute tags as
    dependencies of its own.

> I am trying to get "forrest-core" with the stuff
> that is required to build forrest. Most of those
> dependencies are also required to later run forrest.

> Then "forrest-runtime" which has the minimum
> additional stuff needed to actually run forrest.

I'd suggest you use runtime="true" on all dependencies that are later
required to run forrest inside the forrest-core project, remove
forrest-runtime and use <depend project="forrest-core" inherit="runtime"/>
wherever you'd use forrest-runtime now.

I think this should do what you intend.