On 2010-09-06, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,

>> some time back we had a discussion that skipTest was the preferred
>> property to use when we want to tell mvn not to run tests - well, it
>> doesn't work, at least not for Cocoon 2.2.x.

>> My theory is that those properties are interpreted by the surefire
>> plugin rather than mvn itself.

> Yes, they are plugin parameters:

> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/test-mojo.html

Thank you for the confirmation.

> And from the docs the skipTests parameter was added in version 2.4 of
> the surefire plugin

> [...] and cocoon is using version 2.3 of the surefire plugin (see
> pluginManagement section of the pom):

> skipTests was introduced to replace the more verbose
> "maven.test.skip=true" - you could use that instead though.

Is there a difference between maven.test.skip and maven.test.skip.exec
(which we use now)?  I see there is a skip property in addition to the
skipTests property - the former even avoids compilation of the tests, so
I gues this is the difference here as well.

As much as I would have loved consistency it seems we are best off with
using skipTests when possible and fall back to maven.test.skip.exec.

Coming to think of it, skip and maven.test.skip may help for builds like
james-jsieve which requires JUnit 3.8 to compile because they still have
one of those AllTests classes invoking swingui.TestRunner we used to
write in 2000.