On 2012-04-15, Bill Barker wrote:

> So that gives the option 6) reset the <svn .../> tag to point to the
> new location That would make 6) my favorite now,

+1

> but still wonder if xml-api should still be on the boot classpath
> anymore with modern JVMs.

My guess is there will be builds that are going to break if you remove
it, in particular there will be some XSL transformations that don't work
with the built-in processor but with Xalan.  Maybe things have become
better with JDK6, but the version of XSLTC that ships as JDK5's trax
processor is really buggy.

> By 2) I meant something like : <project name="xml-api" /project> in
> the Gump metadata. It will resolve for the couple hundred ant projects
> that use it, but use the JVM's xml parser.

I don't have any strong opinion on this, it may be easier to just remove
the references from the ant projects (likely not a few hundred anymore).

At the very least the Ant project would want to keep it for test-ant, we
have a test-ant-no-xerces that uses the JVM defaults already.  If you
want to remove the bootclasspath setting, I can take care of the
test-ant case myself easily, so don't let that stop you.