On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:01:17 -0700, Robin Antony wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been following this thread with quite some interest. IMO
> there should be a set of rules to let the novice commiters know
> when a ASF veteran who is guiding the team is really crossing the
> line. There should be a do and don't about what ASF members are
> supposed to do and not supposed to do. What are the interest they
> should be protecting. When does it become against the policies of
> ASF. In most cases people do it due to ignorance or just a mistake
> on their part. But if they did know the basic values and ideal that
> they have to protect then the chances of making these mistakes
> become less probable. What do u guys think? Cheers, Robin Antony

Part of what it means to be an Apache is that it's not about "rules", it's about
consensus. As far as rules do go, I think the closest we may ever get is:

* http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

As I'm going through the mentoring process myself, I'm working on expanding the Mentor
and Project Guide, so that it's easier for people (including the Mentor!) to find out
more about the ASF on their own. Right now, the Mentor and Project Guide is just a
stub:

* http://incubator.apache.org/guides/projects.html

In case anyone has any input, here's a draft outline of what I had in mind:

Mentor and Project Guide

Mentor: Read Me First (if you haven't lately)
* How the ASF works (http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html)
* Committers CVS module (soon to be SVN folder)
  * STATUS
  * docs/committer-newbie.txt
  * docs/project-creation.txt
* Apache Developer Resources (http://apache.org/dev/)
* Apache Incubator Website (http://incubator.apache.org/)

Prepping your team
* How the ASF works (http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html)
* CLAs - Can they sign them?
* Code Grant - Can we get one?
* Resources
  * See also - committers:/docs/project-creation.txt
  * SVN or CVS?
  * Jira or Bugzilla?
    * Jira FAQ - http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JIRA
  * Mailing lists?
    * Right now, only Berin Lautenbach or Noel J. Bergman should create publicly
archived mailing lists, since they are the only ones with the karma and/or knowledge
to do it properly.

Pitching the project
* Subscribe to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (or digest).
  * It's a public list, every team member can subscribe.
* The pre-proposal proposal
* The wiki page
  * File CLAs if you can
* The proposal
  * Follow the template
* The vote

Infrastructure, infrastructure, infrastructure
* s/ me first - committers:/docs/project-creation.txt
* Requesting the lists
* Requesting the tracker
* Requesting the repository
* Requesting accounts
  * 2nd choice

Getting the team started
* Read Me First: Them too.
  * Particularly: committers:/doc/resources.txt (private resources)
* The Incubator status page
  * Checkout repository from SVN
  * Install a recent revision of Forrest (i.e. ).
  * Test build site
  * Follow step-by-step in
incubator:/site-author/projects/incubation-status-template.cwiki
  * Rebuild site
  * Commit or submit patch
* The STATUS report

Keeping it going