On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:26:22 -0400 (EDT), J Aaron Farr wrote:
> How big were you thinking of making this?  Your outline suggests
> several pages at least.  Or were you thinking of just one page?

It should be as short as we make make it, but no shorter :)

> I had been thinking of putting together additional documents for
> those interested in going through the incubator [1].  We regularly
> get questions like: "I'm the lead for project ABC which would be a
> great addition to Apache.  How do we join?"  Some points of your
> outline touched on this, but I may still be interested in writing a
> very simple, user friendly guide to contributing to the ASF.  I'm
> never satisfied with current documentation. :)

Jakarta has some useful guidelines for the "do we qualify" question

* http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html

which people have used as the background for the emerging standard Incubator proposal
format.

> On a final note, I don't believe I have any SVN commit rights to
> anything in the incubator.  I can work up some Forrest or Docbook
> XML stubs based on the outline and if everyone like them, then
> perhaps I can get access to putting them somewhere.  Or I could
> start in the wiki, but in that case, I'd start on content rather
> than the XML structure.

The wiki sounds like a fine place to get started.

-Ted.