On 12/21/05, Ted Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2005, at 12:19 PM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
> > Sam Ruby wrote:
> >> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> >>
> >> As a general rule, the ASF doesn't go out "inviting", people
> >> within the ASF either start a new project, or projects come to us.
> >
> > You're playing with words. Sure, there's no formal invitation
> > process. Now ASF members can approach projects they find
> > interesting and "suggest them to submit a proposal to the ASF", for
> > the greatest benefit of both the coming and existing ASF projects.
> >
> > Thinking more about it, the fact that the ASF isn't supposed to
> > invite projects seems to go against the ASF meritocratic rules. You
> > should not ask for being a committer: you are voted in when other
> > committers consider you deserve it. And you can reject the offer.
> > Same for membership. Why couldn't it also apply to projects that
> > already follow the Apache way and are of interest to the
> > Foundation's projects?
> >
> > On the other hand, proposals like this one, originating from
> > commercial entities, really look to me as "pushing the ASF door
> > open", even if the incubator is supposed to ensure community
> > diversity and healthiness before graduating as a real project.
>
> If we don't invite projects then we become driven by the projects
> that come to us, which have been overwhelmingly sponsored by
> corporate interests.   Saying we don't have an agenda is really
> saying that we're happy to accept someone else's agenda, which I am
> certainly not happy with.

one reason for not issuing formal invitations from the ASF is that
we'd need to create enough process to ensure this happens with
oversight and so on.

IMHO informal negotiations lead by interested members would be a
better approach. this is allowed ATM but perhaps isn't working too
well right now or maybe just takes longer...

- robert