J Aaron Farr wrote:
On 1/10/06, David E. Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

We are all looking forward to your comments and desire to express in
advance appreciation for all that you have done and are doing for the
open source world and the software world in general through your
efforts in the Apache Software Foundation.

This proposal has caught my interest.  I'd be willing to help mentor.

It has also caught my attention, mainly because, purely by coincidence I am currently evaluating OfBiz for a new project. I'm still in the early stages, but so far I am very impressed, although I have not yet dived into the code.

If we select OfBiz for this project. I would certainly be participating in the community, and would probably be able to help mentoring if required.

A couple of points:

The proposal says that this project is to be sponsored by the ASF
Board.  Is that correct?  Did the Board already +1 on or are we still
searching for a sponsoring entity?

Apache has generally stayed away from end user applications and
instead focuses on infrastructure and middleware.  That's not
completey true, but is a good rule of thumb.  For example, a lot of
contributors and supporters of the ASF use our code to create
ecommerce products.  I'm a little worried that some may view this
proposal as the ASF attempting to compete with these contributors.

Many ASF projects compete with many other products. As far as I understand things the ASF prides itself on not allowing any commercial entities or individuals to dictate what the ASF does and how it does it.

Furthermore, there are two distinct parts to the project. The framework and the applications. The framework certainly fits the "mould" of ASF projects. As presented with OfBiz the applications are more like very complete examples of what can be done with the framework. They are complete applications, but they are quite cumbersome with respect to UI design (i.e. all form DB fields are shown on pretty much all forms since they are auto generated).

It looks to me like there is quite a bit of work in turning the OfBiz applications into something a customer would want.

Ross

The