+1 to Bill's suggestion of having an "ASF Commit Policy" - but there
are many points in this thread that would be good to be  incorporated
in his original suggestion.

Niall

On 2/3/07, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2/2/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If they aren't a committer yet, they post a patch (jira or list) just like
> every other wannabe future committer.  When the volume and quality are
> reasonable, they are offered commit access.  But the suggested policy is to
> state "no backchannel dealings with codesubmissions.  bring it to the list."

Agreed, but a detailed Subversion log is also part of the list. If the
Subversion entry details the source of the commit, cites a CLA, and
includes the design justification, then that's no different than
bringing it up on the list as a matter of lazy consensus. Over the
long term, it may be even better, since the information is attached to
the commit, and not just floating around on the dev list.

Any controversial commit should be discussed first, regardless of its
source. Committers need to apply the same good judgment and discretion
to our own donations as we do to the donations of others.  I think a
key problem with this policy is that it implies we can apply a
different standard to our own donations.

A key idea is that the PMC is accepting donations on behalf of the
foundation. Whether the donation is code we happen to write, or
someone else has donated, isn't important. When I commit code I wrote,
I may be sheparding my own donation, but, I'm still not committing as
the "author", but as a PMC member authorized to accept donations on
behalf of the foundation, including those I happened to write myself.

> Otherwise we'll fail to recognize the merits of *individual's* contributions
> and therefore won't offer commit access when it's warrented.  And *that* is
> the third part of the issue.

To me, this sounds like an issue with the Subversion log entries. The
source of all donations must be cited so that there is a clear
providence for the work.  If we don't cite a source, then the
assumption is that the committer is also the donor. Every commit is a
donation, and every commit has an explicit or implied donor.

-Ted.