On Thursday 15 February 2007 01:09, Brian McCallister wrote:

> Considering the possible legal implications of getting IP wrong, it
> may be a good thing to require the formal approval just to force more
> eyes to look at things. That said, I hesitate to increase the
> incubator workload when the work amounts to covering another PMC's
> butt for them :-)

Yes, looking at the average understanding of the legal issues among the
membership, and even among seasoned veterans, I think the "lazy consensus" is
perhaps too optimistic.

Not that there is any reason to assume "a member or officer to not cheat", but
that a combination of "didn't know better" and "didn't think about it" can
create unintentional "IP Clearances". AFAIU, it is an important issue to get
this right.

Cheers
Niclas