On Sep 18, 2007, at 2:45 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

Garrett Rooney wrote:
(if anything it seems like a new TLP
associated with hadoop and generic distributed computing tools like
pig that are built on top of hadoop seems like it would make more
sense than just a pig TLP),

Yes, I agree. But that's not happened yet, and the Pig folks are ready to enter the incubator now.

but if that's what the people involved
want I don't see anything wrong with it.  I mean it's not like a
decision on a final home for the project has to happen now anyway.

Exactly. If, when Pig is ready to graduate, there is a more Hadoop- specific TLP, then it may make sense to have Pig join that as a sub- project, or it may not.

I agree. One of the objectives of incubation is to decide exactly where in Apache a project (or sub-project) belongs. Let's get it into incubation and see what kind of community/synergy Pig can build with other projects.

Craig

But, for now, the folks involved have elected to aim for TLP rather than Lucene sub-project (the available options).

Doug