Noel J. Bergman wrote:
Dims wrote:
Niclas Hedhman asked:
Do we have any examples where corporate backing has been withdrawn, and
how
the project was affected, whether inside or outside ASF?
TSIK -> Verisign folks lost interest, community did not form, project
shelved.

Plus Kabuki, Heraldry, and possibly Lokahi.  We still hope to save the
latter, as there is consistently a lot of user interest, but the developer
input has dwindled, and we need developers!

ahh, now I understand why you've been trying to get me on the mail list :)

The biggest departure I know of was not in the incubator, it was the implementation of bits of WS-RF that HP was doing under WS;, what was it, Apache Muse? suddenly corporate priorities got changed and all FTEs got reassigned to something else. It just sat there for a while before IBM took up the challenge with a port to Axis2.

similarly, there was a bit of stutter in Axis1 when the IBM team suddenly dropped of the net. There was lots of other active developers, but there were whole swathes of things like Java-to-WSDL code that came from IBM and which the others suddenly needed to learn, because till now that area had been well covered by the IBM folk, but not oustandingly well documented. At least they provided lots of tests, which does make it easier for others to take on the maintenance task -it reduces the amount of damage done while learning.

It seems to me then, that the problem is more than just in-incubator.

-steve