The policy page says:

"Therefore, should a Podling decide it wishes to perform a release, the
Podling SHALL hold a vote on the Podling's public -dev list. At least three
+1 votes are required (see the Apache Voting Process page), and only the
PPMC member votes are binding. If the majority of all votes is positive,
then the Podling SHALL send a summary of that vote to the Incubator's
general list and formally request the Incubator PMC approve such a release.
Three +1 Incubator PMC votes are required." -
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

Its a separate approval vote so wouldn't that require an explicit vote? Is
it so hard to vote over here as well?

   ...ant