I think incubating projects should go through "phases."  The first
phase is to make sure all IP concerns are cleared up.  The second
phase is where the project exhibits that it "gets" the Apache way of
doing business by doing some internal-only releases (this is where
package names would change and stuff of course).  The third phase
(don't know if any others would be required or not) would be the
"community building" phase.  I'd say that projects in phase 1 should
not be allowed to do releases (duh).  The releases done during phase 2
should be internal-only.  The phase 3 releases should be allowed to be
full fledged ASF releases.  Phase 3 may not be necessary for some
projects, if their community is proven to be "healthy" after phase 2.