Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> Clutch is an invaluable tool, but with some coloring issues according
> to me: the current coloring schema is not well suited to alert me, or
> they alert me at the wrong moment, or don't alert me when things get
> out of shape.

Thanks for your feedback. I will try to explain my reasons
and see if we can accommodate your concerns.

The main purpose of the table is to encourage people
to move along with their steps towards entry and graduation.

It is not intended to wield a stick and wave red flags.

For example, it is not encouragement for a project to see
red against them just because they have not yet managed to
set up their website or achieve their first release.

We don't want to hassle them for *not* having done something,
rather praise them for doing something.

Also i was trying to retain the incubation metaphor:
a clutch of golden yolk eggs is good, old ones begin to smell.
That is easy to modify: hatch green eggs and go.

So those were some motivations. Lets find a better colour scheme.

> Gold and murky are nice terms, but they translate very badly into web
> colors and are not in a default mental box which is conditioned to the
> stop-light coloring scheme.

Now with more and more Chinese developers, e.g. Bluesky,
"red" means "up/good". However, they would be used to
operating in western ways, so i have not considered that.

> I'd expect when things go ok, don't need attention that the color is
> either neutral (white) or green. When things need attention they
> should be orange and when things are out of control or need more
> direct attention, the color should be red.
>
> For instance, the coloring range of days in incubator should IMO be:
>
> less than 3 months: orange
> less than 12 months: green
> less than 18 months: yellow
> less than 24 months: orange
> greater than 24 months: red

That re-use of orange to mean "needs extra care" is clever.
It brings attention at both ends of their stay.

Anyway, i will attempt to change to such new colours,
yet still retain the encouragement.

-David