On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:54 AM, James Dixson <dixs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok folks I believe we have our first Apache release candidate for Etch:
> apache-etch-1.0.2-incubating.
>
> With this release we have updated all of the licensing/headers for the
> project to meet Apache standards, fixed a few bugs and validated under
> Windows, OS X and Linux (Ubuntu).
>
> Complete listing of what was fixed is here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=12310835&fixfor=12313456
>

> We *have not* in 1.0.2 changed the package names from "etch" to
> "org.apache.etch", that change will be in our next release,
> apache-etch-1.1-incubating, which will be ready for release in another 2-3
> weeks. We did not change the package names to maintain compatibility for
> folks running the pre-apache 1.0.x releases who are only interested in
> bug-fixes.
>
> We have met the threshold for committer votes in the following threads:
>
>  http://n2.nabble.com/-vote--Release-1.0.2-td2294748.html
>
> http://n2.nabble.com/-vote--Release-1.0.2-(second-attempt)-td2360187.html<http://n2.nabble.com/-vote--Release-1.0.2-%28second-attempt%29-td2360187.html>
>

> The candidate files can be found here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~dixson/apache-etch/1.0.2-incubating/<http://people.apache.org/%7Edixson/apache-etch/1.0.2-incubating/>
>
> Each file has a MD5, SHA1 and a Signature.
>
> Finally, the output from RAT is also included in the "*-rat-output.txt"
> file.
>

> --
> james

I can't find a DISCLAIMER file or the Incubator disclaimer text anywhere in
the release artifacts. If it is there and I've just missed it then +1 as the
rest of it looks good, but if the disclaimer is missing then that probably
needs to be fixed.

A couple of other non-blocking comments:

Nothing in the readme or releases notes says what Etch does, might be nice
to have a brief sentence or two saying what the project is about.

There's a Cisco copyright at the top of all the source files, can that be
moved to the NOTICE file as described at:
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

   ...ant