On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com> wrote:

> On 27 Oct 2009, at 06:59, Paul Querna wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to propose incubating the existing Libcloud project to
>> join the ASF:
>
> +1.  Looks interesting!
>
> There seem to be more than enough volunteers to mentor already,
> so I won't put myself forward for that.  But I'll certainly watch with
> interest!
>
> From your POV as king of infra, what uses of this might you
> envisage @apache.org?

>From an ASF Infra POV, cloud computing in the public hosting providers
sense, doesn't make sense for us.  Since we generally only pay for
Hardware, and our BW/Power/Rackspace are all 'free' at most of our
hosting locations, and even amazon's cheapest machines cannot compare
to this.

I do believe there is oppurtunity within our own machines to better
utlitilize resources on many machines, and in the long run it will
make sense to run certain ASF services 'on the cloud', but I don't see
it changing super quickly for the ASF Infrastructure itself.

Thanks,

Paul