On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:08, Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems though that all you're going to do here in the incubator is
> go through the IP clearance and ask for waivers on all the other usual
> steps that a new project goes through. Whats the point of that?
> Whether its a bad precedent or not, if you effectively want a rubber
> stamp from the IPMC then better IMO to just do the IP Clearance for
> the code base and go straight to the board to sign off on subversion
> joining as a TLP.

An IP Clearance requires a PMC first. We don't have one :-P

But to not be flippant about it: yes, I had considered that too. I
think it also sets a poor precedent, though not as bad, as going
straight to the Board for a TLP. Maybe when Subversion graduates, and
we review the process, we can establish a mechanism for doing exactly
that. But I think it is still going to be such a rare event, that we
can just recognize it when it arrives and shift gears.

That said: the checklists in the Incubation process are very good. I'm
using them to coordinate all the various bits that need to be set up
for a project. There is something to be absolutely said for
maintaining the podling status in subversion.xml. "Did you do X? How
about Y?" Getting each of those done, and communicated. There are also
a lot of coordination issues between the community and infrastructure.

And it has been a LONG time since I've set up a TLP here at the ASF.
There are lots of moving parts. I am likely to miss something, and the
Incubator PMC is here to help me with that.

Most podlings have plenty of time in the Incubator to get all their
parts in working order. And then they take another few months as they
graduate. I'm trying to run right on the edge and keep the Subversion
community from seeing as little disruption as possible, yet put
together everything that we want and need from a project here at the
ASF. The Incubator provides a structure for that.

Cheers,
-g