On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:45:23PM +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> I think this sounds like an excellent candidate for Incubation.

Thank you for the vote of confidence.  :)

> Sorry, I won't sign up as mentor, but there sure should be some from the
> Lucene community.... riiiighhhht?

For what it's worth, we hope to be star students of the Incubator and require
minimal effort from our Mentors.  An old boss of mine once said to me, "Don't
ask me what to do -- give me something I can say 'yes' to."  That will be our
modus operandi as we pass through incubation.

With regards to administrative tasks such as rolling releases and keeping our
status file up to date, we will approach them as an academic exercise: to the
extent that documentation exists, we will study it, follow it, and strive for
100% compliance.

At the same time, we intend to avoid asking too *few* questions.  With regards
to our chief challenge -- growing the community and making me dispensible -- we
feel fortunate that we will be able to rely on our Champion, Hoss, for
guidance.  If any of you are subscribed to solr-user, then you know dedicated
Hoss is and how much time he has spent in the trenches, patiently helping
people (2710 messages and counting).  He has offered Lucy thoughtful advice in
the past; we look forward to more of his suggestions, and we plan to make good
use of them.

Put another way, we aim to be the kind of highly motivated students that it is
a joy to teach, and we hope to launch a project that will be an enduring
source of pride to those who helped us during incubation.  I would be
delighted to see more Lucene people come aboard in addition to Hoss and Chris
Mattman, but I also hope that we can reach out across project boundaries and
recruit individuals from elsewhere to join us.  It would be great if Lucy
could build ties with other projects as productive as those we have with
Lucene.

PS: Chris Mattmann originally said no, too.  ;)

Cheers,

Marvin Humphrey