Let me repeat: where does it say a TLP must be "at least THIS size" ?

Answer: nowhere.

Small projects are just fine. We're looking at the overall community
and the people to shepherd that community. Those are the RAT
developers and users. Not the Apache Commons or Apache Maven people.
They have other concerns and focus points.

TLPs are not "expensive", so they don't have to have a "minimum size"
to justify their existence.

Cheers,
-g