On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 19:24, Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

Yup. Goodness.

>> I am not  too worried about "binding" vote one podling ppmc
>> member have over another  podling's release. the "binding" is
>> for me a legal thing (as in we need 3  binding ipmc votes for a release).
>
> I think ant is more concerned about graduation votes.  We
> could simply write a new rule that podling committers on
> the IPMC brought in through my initiative MUST ABSTAIN from
> graduation votes.  I don't think the board would be the
> least bit upset if we did that.

Nah. Don't impose more rules.

In Subversion, we vote in committers and we tell them "only commit to
/some/path". And they do that. We don't need technical measures. We
simply *ask*.

Let new IPMC members know that they should be wary of voting on issues
outside of their "domain of expertise." If they *do* vote, then let
them. If they are out of line, then let them discuss why they
voted/thought that way. It can be a learning exercise. Maybe they'll
change their vote. If you find somebody that just never "gets it" and
is "obstructionist", *then* you can deal with it.

Be optimistic and give them rights. What is the true failure mode
here? What is the full exposure? Is it really a problem? Is it such a
problem that rules are required? [beyond simple social requests]

Cheers,
-g