+1 Sounds like a great project!

Doug

On 11/19/2010 01:48 AM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
Hi,

lets vote on the acceptance of the OpenNLP Project for incubation
at the Apache Incubator.

The proposal is on the wiki
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenNLPProposal
and a copy is included below.

The discussion thread can be found here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201011.mbox/%3c4ce4f1f4.3010...@gmail.com%3e

Please cast your votes:

[ ] +1 Accept OpenNLP for incubation
[ ] +0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Reject for the following reason:

The vote is open for at least 72 hours.

Thanks!
Jörn

= OpenNLP Proposal =
The following is a proposal for a new top-level project within the ASF.

== Abstract ==
OpenNLP is a Java machine learning toolkit for natural language
processing (NLP).

== Proposal ==
OpenNLP is a machine learning based toolkit for the processing of
natural language text. It supports the most common NLP tasks, such as
tokenization, sentence segmentation, part-of-speech tagging, named
entity extraction, chunking, parsing, and coreference resolution. These
tasks are usually required to build more advanced text processing services.

The goal of the OpenNLP project will be to create a mature toolkit for
the abovementioned tasks. An additional goal is to provide a large
number of pre-built models for a variety of languages, as well as the
annotated text resources that those models are derived from.

== Background ==
OpenNLP was started in 2000 by Jason Baldridge and Gann Bierner while
they were graduate students in the Division of Informatics at the
University of Edinburgh. OpenNLP, broadly speaking, was meant to be a
high-level organizational unit for various open source software packages
for natural language processing; more practically, it provided a
high-level package name for various Java packages of the form opennlp.*.
The first OpenNLP software package was the Grok natural language parsing
toolkit, which was also the genesis of what is now called the OpenNLP
Toolkit. The software released on the OpenNLP sourceforge site (started
in 2000, along with Grok) was simply a set of interfaces defined in the
package opennlp.common and referred to as the OpenNLP Java API. The
actual implementations of natural language processing components were
provided in Grok, along with code for sentence parsing with Combinatory
Categorial Grammar. This code was used heavily in both Baldridge's and
Biern
er's dissertations. The first paper that used Grok, and especially the
components that would become the OpenNLP Toolkit is
[[http://comp.ling.utexas.edu/jbaldrid/papers/hockenmaier_etal_ESSLLI2000.pdf|Hockenmaier,
Bierner and Baldridge (2000)]] (later updated as the journal article
[[http://comp.ling.utexas.edu/jbaldrid/papers/HockenmaierEtal2004.pdf|Hockenmaier,
Bierner, and Baldridge (2004)]]).

In 2003, it was decided to remove the NLP infrastructure from Grok as
there was a clear separation between the basic text processing
components and the syntactic and semantic analysis components. At the
same time, Grok was rebranded as OpenCCG (openccg.sf.net). The final
release of the OpenNLP Java API was made in March 2003; the new OpenNLP
Toolkit was created from the API and the Grok text processing
components, with version 1.0 being released in April 2004. The OpenNLP
Toolkit and OpenCCG have evolved independently since then and have
mostly independent and active developer and user communities. OpenCCG is
primarily used in the academic community, while OpenNLP has considerable
use in both academia and industry. As in indication of the academic
impact of OpenNLP, a search on Google scholar (done in March 2010)
returned about 650 publications citing the package. Some of these
include the OpenNLP website and a few non-publications plus some
self-citations. Based on a scan of
these results, we estimate that about 500 actual publications have used
OpenNLP in their work, and there are an addition 50 or so
quasi-publications like surveys and instruction manuals.

The activity level of the OpenNLP project has fluctuated over that past
10+ years, with a large uptick in the last two years especially. Most
recently, due both to the availability of new documentation and the
release of version 1.5 , there have been many more downloads and page
views for the OpenNLP project. In fact, September 2010 had the most
downloads (1,561) and project web hits (226,391) of any month since the
project's beginning in 2000, and October is keeping pacing with that
figure so far. As a result, OpenNLP has gone from being in the 2000th to
4000th ranked project (between January and May, 2010) to being ranked
570, 314, 181 and 439 for July, August, September, and October
respectively. Full details are available on the Sourceforge statistics
page for OpenNLP. (There are 240,000 projects hosted on SourceForge,
though this figure includes many, many projects that never actually get
started: it seems that about 7-10% of these are stable, active projects
base
d on a review done in 2007.)

== Rationale ==
OpenNLP fills a significant gap at the ASF in regards to human language
processing tools. While Lucene/Solr, UIMA and Mahout all have some tools
in this area, none of them are solely focused on tools specifically for
working with natural language like OpenNLP.

== Initial Goals ==
The initial goals of the proposed project are:

* Bring the community together at the ASF and make the development
process transparent for them
* Write user documentation about all major components
* Automated build including train and evaluate regression tests
* Produce an Incubating release

== Current Status ==
=== Meritocracy ===
Some of the initial committers are familiar with Apache's idea of
meritocracy, others aren't. We will get everybody on the same level as
part of the incubation process.

=== Community ===
OpenNLP already has a considerable user base, both in industry and
academia.

=== Core Developers ===
See the initial committer list.

=== Alignment ===
OpenNLP has tie-ins with several existing Apache projects. We have been
distributing wrappers for UIMA for some time now (two UIMA committers
also contribute to OpenNLP). We expect this collaboration to strengthen
further after our move to Apache.

Another obvious connection exists to some of the projects under the
Lucene umbrella. On the one hand, projects like Solr may benefit from
the OpenNLP analysis capabilities to create specialized search for
particular domains. On the other, OpenNLP may benefit from the machine
learning code that is being developed in Mahout, and maybe get some
people from that community to lend a hand.

== Known Risks ==
=== Orphaned products ===
The project has been around for quite a number of years already, it has
a well-established user community and a diverse set of committers.

=== Inexperience with Open Source ===
OpenNLP has been an open source project for quite some time. Many of the
developers are already familiar with both open source in general and the
ASF in particular.

=== Homogenous Developers ===
The current group of developers is very diverse, no two developers work
for the same organization.

=== Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
Most of the developers are not paid to work on OpenNLP, so there is
little reliance on salaried developers.

=== Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
NLP is often used in search and other algorithms that work with
unstructured data, thus OpenNLP is likely to be useful to the Lucene and
Solr communities. It also aligns nicely with both Mahout and UIMA.

=== A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
We think the project aligns nicely with the goals of the ASF to
disseminate source code to the public free of charge. NLP has long been
the subject of cutting edge research, but is often lacking in community
and shared knowledge. We believe that by bringing OpenNLP to the ASF,
the Apache brand will help deliver NLP capabilities to a much larger
audience and likewise a cutting edge project like OpenNLP can further
the ASF brand by providing users with tried and true, as well as new,
natural language processing capabilities.

== Documentation ==
*http://opennlp.sourceforge.net/README.html
*http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/opennlp/index.php?title=Main_Page

== Initial Source ==
The source code is maintained in two CVS repositories on SourceForge.

OpenNLP Maxent:http://maxent.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/maxent/

OpenNLP Tools and OpenNLP
UIMA:http://opennlp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/opennlp/

== Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==
The OpenNLP source code is already open source under the AL 2.0.

== External Dependencies ==
||'''Library''' ||||<style="text-align: center;">'''License'''
||||<style="text-align: center;">'''Description''' ||
||JWNL ||||<style="text-align: center;">BSD ||||<style="text-align:
center;">Java Wordnet Library ||
||JUnit ||||<style="text-align: center;">CPL ||||<style="text-align:
center;">Unit Testing Framework ||
||UIMA ||||<style="text-align: center;">AL 2.0 ||||<style="text-align:
center;">Unstructured Information Management Architecture ||

== Cryptography ==
OpenNLP neither provides nor uses any cryptography.

== Required Resources ==
=== Mailing lists ===
* opennlp-dev
* opennlp-private
* opennlp-user
* opennlp-commits

=== Subversion Directory ===
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/opennlp

=== Issue Tracking ===
Jira: OPENNLP

=== Other Resources ===
== Initial Committers ==
||'''Name''' ||||<style="text-align: center;">'''Email'''
||||<style="text-align: center;">'''CLA''' ||
||Thilo Goetz ||||<style="text-align: center;"> twgo...@apache.org
||||<style="text-align: center;">yes ||
||Grant Ingersoll ||||<style="text-align: center;"> gsing...@apache.org
||||<style="text-align: center;">yes ||
||Jörn Kottmann ||||<style="text-align: center;"> jo...@apache.org
||||<style="text-align: center;">yes ||
||Thomas Morton ||||<style="text-align: center;"> tsmor...@gmail.com
||||<style="text-align: center;">no ||
william.co...@gmail.com ||||<style="text-align: center;">yes ||
jasonbaldri...@gmail.com ||||<style="text-align: center;">yes ||
||James Kosin ||||<style="text-align: center;"> james.ko...@gmail.com
||||<style="text-align: center;">yes ||

== Affiliations ==
||'''Name''' ||||<style="text-align: center;">'''Affiliation''' ||
||Thilo Goetz ||||<style="text-align: center;">IBM ||
||Grant Ingersoll ||||<style="text-align: center;">Lucid Imagination ||
||Jörn Kottmann ||||<style="text-align: center;">Infopaq International
A/S ||
||Thomas Morton ||||<style="text-align: center;">Comcast Corporation ||
||William Silva ||||<style="text-align: center;">São Paulo University ||
||Jason Baldridge ||||<style="text-align: center;">The University of
Texas at Austin ||
||James Kosin ||||<style="text-align: center;">International
Communications Group, Inc. ||

== Sponsors ==
=== Champion ===
Grant Ingersoll