On Dec 4, 2010, at 9:13 AM, Tad Glines wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 12/04/2010 09:22 AM, Tad Glines wrote:
>>

>>> Also, committers will not be issued accounts until their CLA (either ICLA
>>> or
>>> CCLA) has been received and recorded. Here's the new committers guide:
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html.
>>>

>> I'm fairly certain all committers needs to fill out the ICLA, no?
>

> Yes, I see. Reading this <http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas> further I
> see that all have to sign an ICLA, but for some their employer will need to
> submit a CCLA.

It is usually the case that some will want their employer to submit a CCLA
rather than need to.  The ICLA is the way an individual states that they have
the right to commit the software they contribute.  If during the course of
their employment they are called upon to enhance or fix bugs in an Apache
project the ICLA is sufficient for them to do that provided they have
permission to do so from their employer.  The CCLA protects the individual in
that case by explicitly stating the listed individuals have that right. The
CCLA is also one way a company can donate software directly to the ASF.  There
are quite a few companies that don't want to submit a CCLA but will allow their
employees to contribute. In those cases it is up to the individual to make sure
they are protected should management changes occur, etc.

Ralph