Those have zero oversight, and are supposed to be associated with
existing projects, no?

More seriously,

"There are a number of things Apache Extras projects can not do since
they are not official Apache Software Foundation projects, including
1) include the word Apache in their name, 2) use the org.apache
namespace for their bundles or package names. "

My goal here is to foster and encourage the growth of brand new things
*inside* the ASF, but lowering the barrier to entry.