On Jun 5, 2011, at 3:51 PM, Keith Curtis wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
>

>> It provides over 150 other projects, all of them are useless to you ?
>
> Yes, almost all of them are Java, and I don't have Java installed on
> my laptop or server.
> http://projects.apache.org/indexes/language.html
>
> Apache is clearly useful to lots of other people, but by picking Java
> it has hurt its situation in the Linux community with people like me.

Please, before you post here could you get some understanding of the ASF?  The
Apache Software Foundation doesn't "pick" anything.  If you want to code in
SNOBOL, Pascal, Fortran, Mumps, APL, C/C++, Assembly or any other language we
really don't care.  All we care about is that you can build a community and
that your code is released under the Apache license.  Obviously, there are a
ton of people who disagree with you because they all proposed Java-based
projects and attracted developers.

As for the "support of IBM" you mentioned in another email, I almost fell over
laughing.  First, the ASF is made up entirely of individuals, both as
committers and members. No corporations allowed.  We do accept sponsorships
both from individuals and corporations. What that buys you is what is
documented at http://www.apache.org/foundation/sponsorship.html.  Primarily the
benefit consists entirely of what you see on
http://www.apache.org/foundation/thanks.html.

I posted these in a prior post but you either didn't read them or just skimmed
them. Please read them again.

[1] http://theapacheway.com/
[2] https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/incubation_at_apache_what_s
[3] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#incubator