Sorry, but we don't typically release code from not-passed proposals
or failed podlings. This would be an extraordinary circumstance, which
is why I mentioned the Board input.

So... I would not recommend this as a "first step" since it would be
abnormal. Tarballs on the sly aren't good; the ASF wants a proper,
vetted release.

Cheers,
-g