> I think it would be good if the proposed committers who have not yet done
> so, could post a quick note to the list, to introduce yourself and your
> interest in this project.   Think of this as an opportunity to introduce
> yourself to your future collaborators on Apache OpenOffice.

Ian Lynch, cut my coding teeth on Algol W (IBM 370). BBC BASIC, 6502, 6809
and ARM Assembler.  Now I don't have time to hack, I run a UK government
accredited Awarding Organisation and I'm trying to build a global service
business that can support FOSS and liberally licensed content for education.
We have 6 people working in the company based in the UK and we have active
projects in Malaysia, Kenya, USA, Romania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic,
Germany, Spain and Netherlands all at various stages. Something in South
America in relation to OOo specifically seems imminent. I have been a member
of the OOo marketing community since the early days leading education for a
time and I was a co-founder of the Open Document Fellowship. I'm quite
interested in developing businesses that can support FOSS development and
obviate the need for closed software licenses.

I think the most important aspect of all this is ISO26300 because it and its
developments enable a rich range of FOSS implementations in the document
space. I'm sure this will migrate to the cloud so current OOo/LO
implementations are going to have to change.

In terms of certification, we are product neutral. Most of our customers get
their IT user certificates using MS products. There was not sufficient
demand early on for an exclusive "we only deal with FOSS products" stance
and getting to users of proprietary licensed software at least gives them
the opportunity to see that there are alternatives. We use a Lamp stack and
Drupal for our core business, Libre Office on Ubuntu. We only use Windows
and IE for testing the web site - lots of schools still on IE6 unfortunately
a real pain ;-)

My main constraint is time as I am constantly needing to find ways of
keeping everyone here employed while we develop the business.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.