Sorry,

this was a mistake, I used a wrong mail address; ignore this posting, please.

regards,
Mathias

On 12.06.2011 15:51, Mathias Bauer wrote:
+1 (non-binding)

Regards,
Mathias

On 10.06.2011 18:02, Sam Ruby wrote:
*** Please change your Subject: line for any [DISCUSSION] of this [VOTE]

As the discussions on the OpenOfficeProposal threads seem to be winding
down, I would like to initiate the vote to accept OpenOffice.org as an
Apache Incubator project.

At the end of this mail, I've put a copy of the current proposal. Here
is a link to the document in the wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal?action=recall&rev=207

As the proposal discussion threads are numerous, I encourage people to
scan and review the archives for this month:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201106.mbox/browser

Please cast your votes:

[ ] +1 Accept OpenOffice.org for incubation
[ ] +0 Indifferent to OpenOffice.org incubation
[ ] -1 Reject OpenOffice.org for incubation

This vote will close 72 hours from now.

- Sam Ruby

= OpenOffice.org - An open productivity environment =
== Abstract ==
!OpenOffice.org is comprised of six personal productivity applications:
a word processor (and its web-authoring component), spreadsheet,
presentation graphics, drawing, equation editor, and database.
!OpenOffice.org is released on Windows, Solaris, Linux and Macintosh
operation systems, with more
[[http://porting.openoffice.org/|communities]] joining, including a
mature [[http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/|FreeBSD port]].
!OpenOffice.org is localized, supporting over 110 languages worldwide.

== Proposal ==
Apache !OpenOffice.org will continue the mission pursued by the
!OpenOffice.org project while under the sponsorship of Sun and Oracle,
namely:

"To create, as a community, the leading international office suite that
will run on all major platforms and provide access to all functionality
and data through open-component based APIs and an XML-based file format."

In addition to to building the !OpenOffice.org product, as an end-user
facing product with many existing individual and corporate users, this
project will also be active in supporting end-users via tutorials, user
forums, document template repositories, etc. The project will also work
to further enable !OpenOffice.org to be used as a programmable module in
document automation scenarios.

== Background ==
!OpenOffice.org was launched as an open source project by Sun
Microsystems in June 2000. !OpenOffice.org was originally developed
under the name of StarOffice by Star Division, a German company, which
was acquired by Sun Microsystems in 1999. Sun released this as open
source in 2000. !OpenOffice.org is the leading alternative to MS-Office
available. Its most recent major version, the 3.x series saw over
[[http://www.webmasterpro.de/portal/news/2010/02/05/international-openoffice-market-shares.html|100

million downloads]] in its first year. The
[[http://www.webmasterpro.de/portal/news/2010/02/05/international-openoffice-market-shares.html|most

recent estimates]] suggest a market share on the order of 8-15%.

The !OpenOffice source is written in C++ and delivers language-neutral
and scriptable functionality. This source technology introduces the
next-stage architecture, allowing use of the suite elements as separate
applications or as embedded components in other applications. Numerous
other features are also present including XML-based file formats based
on the vendor-neutral !OpenDocument Format (ODF) standard from OASIS and
other resources.

== Rationale ==
!OpenOffice.org core development would continue at Apache following the
contribution by Oracle, in accordance with Apache bylaws and its usual
open development processes. Both Oracle and ASF agree that the
!OpenOffice.org development community, previously fragmented, would
re-unite under ASF to ensure a stable and long term future for
OpenOffice.org. ASF would enable corporate, non-profit, and volunteer
stakeholders to contribute code in a collaborative fashion.

Supporting tooling projects will accompany the !OpenOffice.org
contribution, providing APIs for extending and customizing
!OpenOffice.org.

Both !OpenOffice.org and the related tooling projects support the OASIS
Open Document Format, and will attract an ecosystem of developers, ISVs
and Systems Integrators. ODF ensures the users of !OpenOffice.org and
related solutions will own their document data, and be free to choose
the application or solution that best meets their requirements.

The !OpenOffice.org implementation will serve as a reference
implementation of the Open Document Format standard.

= Current Status =
== Meritocracy ==
We understand the intention and value of meritocracy at Apache. We are
particularly gratified to learn, during the discussion on this proposal,
that there is a strong role for non-coders to participate in this
meritocracy and as they demonstrate their sustained commitment and
merit, to take on additional community responsibilities.

The initial developers are very familiar with open source development,
both at Apache and elsewhere. Apache was chosen specifically because
Oracle as contributor, and IBM as Sponsor, as well as the initial
developers, want to encourage this style of development for the project.
A diverse developer community is regarded as necessary for a healthy,
stable, long term !OpenOffice.org project.

== Community ==
The !OpenOffice.org project, over its 10+ years of existence has spawned
a diverse set of derived applications, each associated with its own set
of communities. Some of the more prominent applications built on
!OpenOffice.org include:

* !LibreOffice

* [[http://wiki.ooo4kids.org|OOo4Kids]] /
[[http://wiki.ooolight.org|OOoLight]]

* IBM Lotus Symphony
* !RedFlag China 2000 !RedOffice

* !NeoOffice

* !EurOffice

A fuller picture of the range of customizations of !OpenOffice.org is
illustrated in this time line:

{{http://www.robweir.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/oo-forks.png}}

Each of these products has one more more associated communities, which
might include:

1. a user community
1. a developer community
1. a community of supporter, promoters, trainers, consultants, e.g., an
extended ecosystem

In some cases the development effort for the derived project consists of
repackaging the core !OpenOffice.org code with additional plugins,
fonts, clipart, in other cases an additional language translation is
added bundled with additional language tools (spell checking
dictionaries, grammar proofers), and in other cases the development work
involves changes of the core components.

In some cases the communities coordinate closely with the parent
!OpenOffice.org projects, in other cases they have effectively "forked"
into independent projects, and in some cases we really have no idea who
they are or what they are doing. For example, screen shots of the
secretive North Korean "Red Star" computer system indicate that it is
likely using a customized version of !OpenOffice.

The above community relations are as much social as business. The annual
!OpenOffice.org Conference has, for many years, been an important event
on the calendar for community members, a "gathering of the clans" and
generally brings in the "extended family" of projects, often including
non-!OpenOffice.org based projects that interoperate with
!OpenOffice.org via the !OpenDocument Format (ODF) document format,
e.g., Google Docs, Microsoft Office, !AbiWord, Calligra Suite/KOffice.
We want to continue this tradition with members of any eventual Apache
!OpenOffice TLP, in conjunction with the extended community of derived
projects.

One of our goals with this incubation project will be to rationalize and
formalize the coordination of these upstream and downstream
contribution, basing it on the Apache 2.0 license, which should help us
disseminate enhancements to the core more easily, since this license is
easily consumed by all derivatives, even those with copyleft licenses.
We need to identify which functions performed by the broader network of
communities are a good fit for an eventual Apache TLP, and which things
fit better outside of Apache.We also need to respect that the
maintainers of these derivatives of !OpenOffice.org have a lot of pride
in their distributions and value their independent names and websites.
So it is not reasonable to expect that they will wish to be folded into
a single "vanilla" Apache !OpenOffice.org. However, we must do what is
possible to encourage and further develop a thriving ecosystem around
this project.

One possible outcome is that we encourage the core development of the
editors to occur in Apache, while making it easy, via a modular
extension mechanism, a modular install, etc. for others to customize and
redistribute as permitted by the Apache 2.0 license.

== Collaboration with LibreOffice ==
The !LibreOffice project is an important partner in the !OpenOffice.org
community, with an established focus on the GNU/Linux community as well
as on Windows and Mac consumer end-users. The Apache !OpenOffice project
will seek to build a constructive working and technical relationship so
that the source code developed at Apache can be readily used downstream
by !LibreOffice, as well as exploring ways for their upstream
contributions to be integrated.

There will be other ways we will be able to collaborate, including
jointly sponsored events, interoperability 'plugfests', standards
development, shared build management infrastructure, shared release
mirrors, coordination of build schedules and version numbers, defect
lists, and other downstream requirements. We will make this relationship
a priority early in the life of the podlet.

== Core Developers ==
The initial set of committers include developers and other contributors
to !OpenOffice.org, as well members of other derived products, open
source and commercial, including Symphony, RedOffice, LibreOffice,
EducOOo, etc. These committers have varying degrees of experience with
Apache-style open source development, ranging from none to ASF Members.

== Marketing ==
Since its origins, !OpenOffice.org has had a healthy group of volunteers
committed to marketing with "!MarCons" in many countries. There are
existing initiatives that combine marketing with the possibility of
raising independent funds, for example through EU grant applications
related to the Life Long Learning programme, the certification project
and developing the selling of marketing collateral around the
OpenOffice.org brand. There is potential to independently raise money to
substantially improve the quality and take up of the code that was not
realised previously.

== Education ==
Create a '''strong bridge between !OpenOffice.org and the Educational
World''' :

* Provide a place for !OpenOffice.org users, in Education context:
discuss about adapt !OpenOffice.org to your pedagogy, your needs ..etc
(all levels of Education are concerned )

* Provide and promote tools adapted to pedagogical use, around
!OpenOffice.org

* Write code together : train students to OpenOffice.org source code,
create new features, experiment and reverse the best code to be
integrated, following the
[[http://education.openoffice.org|OpenOffice.org Education Project
model]] and the [[http://www.educoo.org|EducOOo effort]].

* !OpenOffice.org has also maintained various mentoring projects and
efforts and are in demand

== Alignment ==
The developers of !OpenOffice.org will want to work with the Apache
Software Foundation specifically because Apache has proven to provide a
strong foundation and set of practices for developing standards-based
infrastructure and related components. Additionally, the project may
evolve to support cloud and mobile platforms from its starting point of
desktop operating systems.

= Known Risks =
== Orphaned products ==
We are encouraged by the strong initial response that news of this
proposal has attracted, quickly growing from two to over 80 proposed
committers. Among those names are individuals who have been involved
with this project for 10 years or more. In addition to the individual
volunteers, there is a
__significant__[[http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/34638.wss|corporate

committment]]. The risk, as in most projects, is to grow the project and
maintain diversity. This is a priority that is keenly desired by the
community.

== Inexperience with Open Source ==
The initial developers include long-time open source developers,
including Apache Members. Although the vast majority of proposed
committers do not have Apache experience, they do have open source
experience. For example, the names from *openoffice.org addresses were
involved with the project previously.

The inexperience risk is also mitigated by the strong list of mentors
who have signed up to support this project.

== Homogeneous Developers ==
!OpenOffice.org for many years was managed by Sun, who provided the
majority of its engineering resources as well as its direction. Moving
this project to Apache enables a new start and provide a broad
framework. We intend to engage in strong recruitment efforts in order to
further strengthen and diversify this project.

In terms of geographic diversity, the project has strong European
participation. This reflects the historical core of the development
effort in this project. We wish to diversify this more, especially
encouraging greater participation from CJK, India and South America.

== Reliance on Salaried Developers ==
The initial group of proposed committers does not appear to be dominated
by a single company. However, when we look at sponsored developers, with
the ability to work on this project full time, IBM clearly has more
committers. We beleive that this situation will change, as the project
developers. The value of this code under a the permissive Apache 2.0
license will attract and encourage opportunities, not only for existing
software vendors, but also for new ventures. This is a new opportunity,
not previously permitted to the same degree by the project's previous
license. This combined with a strong recruitment effort will help remove
the project reliance on developers from any single company.

== Relationships with Other Apache Products ==
Several potential areas for collaboration with other Apache projects
have been suggested, including:

[[http://poi.apache.org|Apache POI]] potentially, if POI extends to
support ODF, the default file format of !OpenOffice.org. (and initial
discussions on this have been promising)

[[http://tika.apache.org/|Apache Tika]] is a generic toolkit for
extracting text and metadata from various file formats. Improving ODF
support with tools from OOo is an obvious area of interest for Tika.

[[http://pdfbox.apache.org/|Apache PDFBox]] is a Java library for
working with PDF documents. If not direct code sharing over the Java /
C++ divide, then at least sharing of PDF know-how and perhaps things
like test cases between these projects would be great.

[[http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/|Apache XML Graphics]] for SVG related
libraries

[[http://community.apache.org/|Community Development]]

We are interested in further exploring these options.

== A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==
!OpenOffice.org in itself is a very strong brand. Our primary interest
is in the processes, systems, and framework Apache has put in place
around open source software development more than any fascination with
the brand.

== Documentation ==
Additional reading on !OpenOffice.org can be found at the
[[http://www.openoffice.org/|existing project's website]].

== Localization ==
This part is mandatory, and an important step in the organization.

== Initial Source ==
The initial source will consist of a collection of !OpenOffice.org files
as specified in Oracle's submitted SGA.

During incubation, we will seek a grant to the following additional
items:

*
[[http://hg.services.openoffice.org/DEV300/file/DEV300_m106/mysqlc|MySQL
Connector module]]

*
[[http://hg.services.openoffice.org/DEV300/file/DEV300_m106/default_images|default

images]]

*
[[http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ChildWorkSpace|ChildWorkSpaces
(CWS)]]

== External Dependencies ==
!OpenOffice has external dependencies, including source and binary,
required and optional, under a variety of licenses. A list of these
dependencies can be found
[[http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/External/Modules|here]].

We acknowledge that it is a podling graduation requirement to review
these dependencies and to get the product into conformance with Apache
requirements. The details will vary on a case-by-case basis, but options
available to us include:

* Substitute an external dependency with one having a compatible license
* Contact the owner of a dependency and asking for a compatible license
* Replace a source dependency with an unmodified binary dependency
* Make a feature be optional, or user-installed
* Rewrite a feature to avoid the external dependency
* Remove a feature along with its external dependencies

Note: This task will be aided by the help of project members who work on
IBM Lotus Symphony, who are familiar with many of these issues from a
similar effort done on that product.

== Cryptography ==
!OpenOffice.org supports digital signatures and encryption of documents.
The project will complete any needed export control paperwork related to
these features.

== Required Resources ==
Note: It is recommended that after this proposal is accepted, that there
be a consultation with ASF Legal Affairs on the trademark *before* any
project infrastructure is created.

=== Mailing Lists ===
The following mailing lists:

* `ooo-...@incubator.apache.org` - for developer discussions

* `ooo-comm...@incubator.apache.org` - for Subversion commit messages

* `ooo-iss...@incubator.apache.org` - for JIRA change notifications

* `ooo-notificati...@incubator.apache.org` - for continuous build/test
notifications

'''Note''': a users mailing is not being requested at this time. It is
anticipated that users will interact with the community through existing
!OpenOffice.org systems, which are forums, based on phpBB.

=== Other resources ===
A subversion repository

A JIRA issue tracker: short code "OOo"

Pootle server (suggested for localization centralization)

phpBB end-user forums

Download site

TBD: some idea of how much build infrastructure measured in hardware.

Oracle will assist in the transition and migration from !OpenOffice.org.
All of the content has already been archived and is ready for the ASF
infrastructure group to act on.

== Initial Committers ==
In order to help encourage the creation of a broad and diverse project
built upon merit, as required of an Apache project, we have not loaded
the initial committer list with contributors from a single company. Our
intention is for the initial committer list to be representative of the
various users of OOo code. It is perfectly all right to have your name
on this list if you contribute in another way than to commit program
code (please maintain alphabetical ordering).
||<tablewidth="897px" tableheight="714px">'''Name''' ||'''Email'''
||'''Affiliation''' ||'''iCLA''' ||
[[http://graphics.openoffice.org|graphics.openoffice.org]] || ||
||Eric Bachard ||ericb at openoffice dot org
||[[http://www.educoo.org|EducOOo]],[[http://education.openoffice.org/|Education

Project]] || ||
||Mathias Bauer ||mba at openoffice dot org ||Individual !OpenOffice.org
||yes ||
||Stephan Bergmann || s...@openoffice.org ||Individual !OpenOffice.org
|| ||
||Raphael Bircher || r.birc...@gmx.ch
||[[http://www.raphaelbircher.ch|Individual]] !OpenOffice.org QA, and
Infrastructure || ||
||Ben Bois ||benbois at ooo4kids dot org
||[[http://www.educoo.org|EducOOo]] /
[[http://wiki.ooo4kids.org|OOo4Kids]] /
[[http://wiki.ooolight.org|OOoLight]] designer || ||
||Andy Brown ||andy at the-marin-byrd dot net ||Individual ||yes ||
||[[http://nl.openoffice.org/|Dutch Native Language Project]] ||yes ||
||[[http://www.educoo.org|EducOOo]] tester || ||
||Robert Burrell Donkin || rdon...@apache.org ||Individual ||yes ||
||Olaf Felka ||of at openoffice.org ||individual, QA,
[[http://qa.openoffice.org/ooQAReloaded/FrameworkTeamsite/ooQA-TeamFramework.html|Framework]]

|| ||
||David Fisher || w...@apache.org ||individual ||yes ||
||Marcelo Horacio Fortino || mfort...@estrategiasgnulinux.com
||Individual || ||
||Jaime R. Garza ||<<MailTo(garzaj AT SPAMFREE gmail DOT com)>>
||Individual || ||
||Roman Gelbort || elprofero...@openoffice.org
||[[http://openoffice.org/people/307558-elproferoman|Spanish and
Marketing project]] || ||
||Luis E. Vasquez || levar...@openoffice.org ||Individual || ||
||Christian Grobmeier ||grobmeier AT apache dor org ||Individual ||yes ||
||Wolf Halton || wolf.hal...@gmail.com ||http://atlantacloudtech.com
|| ||
||Dennis E. Hamilton || dennis.hamil...@acm.org ||Individual
([[orcmid]]) || ||
||Ivo Hinkelmann ||ihi at openoffice dot org ||Individual || ||
||Eric Hoch || mave...@openoffice.org ||Co-Lead
[[http://de.openoffice.org/|German Native Language Project]], MacPorting
Project || ||
Taiwan]], [[http://zh.openoffice.org|Traditional Chinese]] || ||
||Jim Jagielski || j...@apache.org ||Individual ||yes ||
||Christoph Jopp || j...@gmx.de ||Individual ||yes ||
[[http://download.openoffice.org|download.openoffice.org]] || ||
||Steve Lee || st...@fullmeasure.co.uk ||Individual (a11y) ||yes ||
[[http://performance.openoffice.org|OOo Performance]],
[[http://council.openoffice.org/esc|OOo ESC]] || ||
||[[http://theingots.org|Marketing Project/TLM]] || ||
[[http://www.codebuilders.net|CodeBuilders.net]] ||yes ||
||Patrick Maupin || pmau...@gmail.com ||Individual || ||
||Ingrid von der Mehden ||iha at openoffice dot org
||[[http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Chart2|OOo chart
development]] || ||
||Stephane Quenson ||stephane.quenson [at] gmail [dot] com ||Individual
|| ||
||Eike Rathke ||ooo AT erack DOT de ||individual || ||
||[[http://www.fogbeam.com|Fogbeam Labs]] ||yes ||
||[[http://www.rosenlaw.com/|Individual]] ||yes ||
[[http://api.openoffice.org|API]],
[[http://extensions.openoffice.org|Extensions]] || ||
([[http://www.homembit.com|homembit]]) || ||
||Kai Sommerfeld ||kso at openoffice dot org ||Individual
!OpenOffice.org || ||
||Mechtilde Stehmann || mechti...@openoffice.org ||qa officer || ||
||Michael Stehmann || mikea...@openoffice.org ||individual || ||
||Greg Stein ||gstein at gmail ||individual ||yes ||
||Michael Stahl ||mst at openoffice dot org ||Individual !OpenOffice.org
|| ||
||Carl Symons || carlsym...@gmail.com ||Individual || ||
[[http://openoffice.org/people/4-Stefan-Taxhet|OpenOffice.org]] || ||
||Malte Timmermann || m...@openoffice.org
||[[http://www.linkedin.com/in/maltetimmermann|Individual]],
[[http://security.openoffice.org/|OpenOffice.org Security]] and
Accessibility || ||
||Rob Weir || robert_w...@us.ibm.com ||[[http://ibm.com/|IBM]] ||yes ||
||Yong Lin Ma || mayo...@cn.ibm.com ||[[http://symphony.lotus.com|IBM,
Symphony Architect]] ||yes ||
||Lei Wang || l...@cn.ibm.com ||[[http://symphony.lotus.com|IBM,
Spreadsheet]] || ||
||Drew Jensen || d...@baseanswers.com ||Individual
[[http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Drew|TDF]]
[[http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:DrewJensen|OpenOffice]]
||yes ||
||Graham Lauder || yori...@openoffice.org ||!OpenOffice.org !MarCon
[[http://marketing.openoffice.org/contacts.html|(Marketing Contact) New
Zealand]] || ||
||Florent André || flor...@apache.org ||individual ||yes ||
||Allen Pulsifer ||pulsifer at openoffice.org ||individual || ||
||Herbert Duerr || h...@openoffice.org ||individual || ||
||Kazunari Hirano || khir...@openoffice.org ||individual || ||
||Kent Åberg || kent.ab...@newformat.se
||[[http://www.newformat.se/newformat/eng/newformat-home-index.html|NewFormat]]

|| ||
||Maho NAKATA || m...@openoffice.org ||ja/qa project lead, FBSD porting
|| ||
||Miguel Á. Ríos ||mariosv@miguelangel dot mobi ||Individual || ||
||Dave !McKay || thegur...@openoffice.org ||Individual || ||
||Louis Suárez-Potts || lo...@openoffice.org ||individual || ||
||Fernand Vanrie || s...@pmg.be ||individual || ||
||Arthur Buijs || artie...@openoffice.org
||[[http://nl.openoffice.org/|Dutch Native Language Project]] ||Yes ||
||Dave Barton || d...@tasit.net
||[[http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org|Tutorials For OpenOffice]]
|| ||
||Jian Fang Zhang || zhan...@cn.ibm.com
||[[http://symphony.lotus.com|IBM, Symphony Chief Programmer, G11N,
Security]] ||Yes ||
||Zhe Wang || wangz...@cn.ibm.com ||[[http://symphony.lotus.com|IBM,
Impress]] || ||
||[[http://symphony.lotus.com|IBM, Writer, Impress]] || ||
||Jin Hua Chen || chenj...@cn.ibm.com ||IBM, Symphony Presentation || ||
||Yegor Kozlov || ye...@apache.org ||individual ||yes ||
||Juan C. Sanz || jucasac...@openoffice.org ||Spanish documentation || ||
||Peter Junge || p...@openoffice.org ||Individual || ||
||Cyril Beaussier ||oooforum at free dot fr
||[[http://user.services.openoffice.org/fr|French forum
admin]],[[http://fr.openoffice.org/|French Project webmaster]] || ||
||Damjan Jovanovic || dam...@apache.org ||individual ||yes ||
||Fernando Cassia || fcas...@sdf.lonestar.org ||individual || ||

= Sponsors =
== Champion ==
Sam Ruby, Apache Foundation

== Nominated Mentors ==
Because of the scope and complexity of this proposed project, we believe
that the incubation process would benefit from multiple mentors,
especially ones willing to be the "point person" for each of the
following disciplines:

a. IP review
a. infrastructure
a. release management
a. community development

Mentors (these are all Members of the Foundation):

* Jim Jagielski
* Sam Ruby
* Danese Cooper
* Shane Curcuru