I personally would say that bringing in new people is important. It is
an important part of showing your project to be viable, that it is
interesting enough to draw in new talent. Otherwise it is going to rely
permanently on the existing committers, which is not long term viable.

If a project, during an 18 month incubation, cannot draw in new blood,
how can we believe that it will do so as a TLP?

Marketing of the project, getting it known, getting people using it
enough so as to draw in new blood, is clearly a part of the incubation
process.

Upayavira