On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Ashutosh Chauhan <hashut...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks for checking out HCatalog. This is my first time in the
> incubator, so I will be glad if you can help me out here.

Hi Ashutosh, no worries, that's what the incubator is here for. I saw
that you weren't getting the vote and figured I'd help out. :-)

I'd encourage you to work through the incubator release page, it's a
very useful reference:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

> 1. Is Disclaimer a must? I checked out few other projects. Pig, HIve,
> Hadoop, Avro none of those projects have it. Another incubator project
> Chukwa has it neither and they had few releases as well.

According to this Incubator doc it is a requirement. (It's not a
requirement for projects outside the incubator)
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-disclaimer
IIRC we had a similar comment/issue in Whirr. FWIW Whirr's gotten alot
of good feedback and gone through a number of incubator releases, you
might look there for insight.

> 2. "Verify distribution rights". Can you point me to some
> documentation on how do I proceed to make this verification ?

I think you just need to follow the description on this, from your status page:

....-..-..      Check and make sure that for all code included with the
distribution that is not under the Apache license, we have the right
to combine with Apache-licensed code and redistribute.
....-..-..      Check and make sure that all source code distributed by the
project is covered by one or more of the following approved licenses:
Apache, BSD, Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C, MPL 1.1, or something with
essentially the same terms.

There's a section of the incubator on this as well:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-legal-audit
although I think you hit most of these already (headers for example).

So really, afaict, you need to go through this exercise and mark on
the page that you've done it (ie list the date(s)).

> 3. Is there a guideline somewhere about what needs to go in NOTICE.txt
> Particularly, we svn extern hive project which already has NOTICE.txt
> for those dependencies do we stil need to worry about them.

Honestly I have trouble groking this one myself. ;-) Here's the
incubator docs on this:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license
specifically:
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
an httpd example:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt

Perhaps some other incubator member would have more insight or a
better description?

Regards,

Patrick