This appears to be by design. The only folks who have rw access to the file are:
[/infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization]
@pmc-chairs = rw
@svnadmins = rw
@board = rw
@secretary = rw
svn = r
# apsite needs access to asf-authorization-template
apsiteread = r

So at the moment, it appears that karma is only for PMC chairs and a few select others.

I'd agree that incubator pmc members should be able to rw the file or we have a choke point (incubator pmc chair).

Maybe I'm reading this wrong...

Craig