Hi Bill,

On Feb 1, 2012, at 2:25 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> [...snip large thought...please check archives here to see it:

http://s.apache.org/S0i
....]

>> Anyways I could type more but I think I've beat this horse to death. I appeal
>> to you and to the rest of the board members reading this thread will consider
>> my proposal. Thanks for reading.
>>
>> --Chris, who I'll note *does* care about the IPMC and *does* care a ton
>> about Apache
>> and the folks here and our hallowed status as an awesome open source
>> organization.
>
> Giving this thread all due consideration, with its own subject;

Thanks Bill.

> I'd modify your proposal just a smidge.  Keep an Incubator VP with a very
> small
> operational committee just to help move the podling through the entire process
> of wrangling the necessary proposal, votes and board resolutions.  Some amount
> of process documentation would remain under that VP and their committee.

I think this modification adds overhead that I think we have already. ComDev
can provide this guidance and I think that's what the natural purpose for it is.

> Take "VP, Project Incubation" out of the role of judging incoming or
> graduating
> projects.  Leave general@ for the process of submitting a proposal to come in
> as an incubating podling or leave by way of graduation, the attic, or
> graveyard
> (full purge in the rare case of questionable IP provenience).
>
> Make every podling a proper PMC to include its mentors.  Make a choice between
> including all listed initial contributors, or instead, have the mentors
> promote
> the actual contributors given time and merit, based on a well thought out and
> somewhat predictable flowchart.
>
> Have ComDev drive the effort to ensure all projects are nurtured by finding
> new
> mentorship of old, graduated projects as well as incubating projects who had
> lost
> their mentors.  This might avoid some cases of the board imposing a full PMC
> reset
> on established projects.
>
> Most importantly, have the voting by the full membership on general@ to
> recommend
> to the board accepting a podling or graduating a podling to a TLP.

If the full membership is making the recommendation then i see no need for a VP
Incubator and I think it should be disbanded. However, I agree with your
statements
above and think they jive with my proposal.

>  Why?  Given
> the example of the hotly contested AOO podling, if the membership (represented
> by Incubator PMC members) did not ultimately have the discussion that was
> held,
> and if the board had 'imposed' accepting AOO on the foundation, it would have
> done internal harm.  Now maybe only 50 of the members care to review proposals
> and cast such votes.  That's OK, they are still representative of the
> membership.
> If a member wants to gripe on the member's private list, they can be gently
> but
> emphatically nudged to take their concerns to the general@ discussion of the
> proposed project.

Yes yes yes. Perfect. That's right. Let the membership VOTE for the proposal
and then recommend to the board. That's a great idea. And I guess that would
mean that general@ stays around. I could live with that so long as the VP
Incubator and the IPMC is discharged. As I said, I think they have more than
served their purpose.

> In short, all incoming projects continue into an "Incubation" phase as we all
> understand it, subject to additional scrutiny and oversight by a collection
> of mentors and additional scrutiny by the board, reflected in their monthly
> and then quarterly report.  A scorecard continues for the incubating projects
> of the milestones they must reach to graduate into a full fledged project.

+1.

> And we can even continue to restrict them to an incubation.apache.org domain
> until they reach that milestone.

Meh, I don't think that matters, honestly. If they want to be
newfoo.apache.org, who
cares, so long as they are following the website and trademarks guidelines for
what the website should say aka *large bold words* saying Incubation :)

> But they are plugged in from day one into the same array of services offered
> by Board/Legal/Infrastructure/Press/Trademarks/ComDev/ConCom with mentors to
> help them navigate.  Beyond VP, Project Incubation, we will probably uncover
> other obvious services that the ASF should provide as a VP or committee of
> peers to nurture incoming podlings into successful, healthy projects.

Yep, agreed with the above, minus the VP Incubation (or Incubator VP role),
and associated committee. There's no need for it.

> Every previous restriction on incubating podlings has been eliminated over
> the past 8 years.  There is no reason to continue the incubator committee
> as an ombudsman, when every issue that applies to each incubating podling
> simultaneously applies to each established project.

Yep, and there's no reason to continue the Incubator committee, period.

Thanks for the comments BIll.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.