On Feb 3, 2012, at 11:12 AM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 14:04, William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> On 2/3/2012 12:51 PM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>>>
>>> So that everyone affected by these proposals has the opportunity to engage
>>> in the discussion, I recommend that we pull these out of e-mail for a while
>>> and ask everyone who has a new "plan" for the incubator to draft proposals
>>> on the wiki as Chris did.  At that point, we could have a bake-off
>>> discussion where the community has the ability to evaluate and chime in
>>> with their concerns/comments/suggestions.
>>
>> Funny you mention it, the Incubator itself was the product of a bake off
>> between two proposed resolutions, still recorded in the board minutes :)
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2002/board_minutes_2002_10_16.txt

It is actually interesting reading those resolutions - although to be honest I
didn't see much difference between them. I don't really see anything wrong with
them.  As I see it, the problem with the PMC isn't its charter but how it has
chosen to carry it out.  For example, requiring mentors to be IPMC members vs
ASF members means constantly pinging the board with people who are coming and
going who are interested in helping a podling succeed but who aren't really
interested in running the incubator.  I really see nothing wrong with having an
incubator PMC whose job it is to monitor the podlings, make sure they have
active mentors, are getting the help they need and then make a decision on
graduating or retiring them.  However, that PMC doesn't need more than a dozen
people on it.

"Disbanding" the PMC seems to me to be a very reactionary approach to the
problem.

Ralph