On Mar 1, 2012, at 7:55 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> On 3/1/2012 9:49 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what statement Roy is referring to, so I won't challenge
>> it directly.  Instead I will ask that people work together to find out
>> what processes are right for the ASF at this point in time, even if
>> these processes are different than the ones that we used 10, 5, or
>> even just 2 years ago.
>
> In this specific case, I trust Roy to inform us if it meets the narrow
> response he received with respect to a single committer's creation on
> behalf of their employer (as we understand this submission) or if it
> has some additional considerations.

My understanding is that the author of the code in question is an
existing committer, has an iCLA on file, says he authored it, and
says he has permission from the copyright owner to contribute the code
to the ASF.  He has made that statement in both the public list
(archived) and the actual commit.

That's all we need for contributions of code from committers to an
existing TLP.  It can be five lines of code or five million lines of code.
We trust our committers.

I know that the incubator occasionally thinks it owns the process for
all contributions of code at Apache.  I don't care.  When code comes
from a source that has not yet signed a contributors agreement with
Apache, then we should have it go through Incubator to be sure that
some paperwork gets signed.  But when it comes from an existing
committer who says he has permission to contribute under his own iCLA,
we already have the signed agreement on file and the contributor is
entirely responsible for the accuracy of his own statements.  There
is no need for incubator to be involved.  If there was any such need,
then every single commit from every contributor would need to go
through the same process.

There is no need to waste the contributor's time, nor the time of the
project chair, with useless procedural nonsense that has no value
whatsoever beyond the statements already made by the contributor.
We have several layers of contributor licensing to cover our ass, and
if for some bizarre reason that is not enough then I am absolutely
certain having another document in incubator summarizing it won't help.

....Roy