On 27 May 2012 01:15, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> What would happen if all the Cloudera people were to suddenly vanish from
> the project (this could easily happen if Cloudera were purchased by a
> larger company who had different goals).  As it stands today I don't
> believe the project would survive very long.

That happened to axis 1.x when the IBM developers all got reassigned to
Websphere stuff, a large chunk of the knowledge of the dev team vanished
one day. That knowledge was missed more than the engineering support -the
whole undercommented bit of the WSDL-to-Java-source metacode was the bit
that was hardest for the successors to understand

 Sanjeeva and the WSO2 team took up the mantle, and with a focus on Axis
made it much much better -showing that heavy (but not not sole) engagement
from a small startup can benefit a project.

Cloudera's biz plan does depend on  a core OSS Hadoop, so it's less likely
they will disappear than a team from some F100 corporation that can
reassign or terminate whole organisations based on a single email. I'd put
the risk more on "in whose interests do decisions get made", rather than
the "they all disappear one day" scenario.  Even so, I hope the knowledge
of the codebase is spread more widely than just across those who check
stuff in.